Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Favorite Things of the year 2009

Yes, i know. i am late. but if you have had a not so great 2009 you would understand what i am feeling.

i have compiled the things that have great impact on me in 2009. Some are performances and others are events in my life. thought i share, minutes before we bring 2010. btw Nubia makes the best cookies! (besides my mom).

*This list is very bias, so there. start hating*

BIG QUARTERS-FROM THE HOME OF BROWN BABIES AND WHITE MOTHERS CD RELEASE

I've know Brandonallday about 10 years or so. Ever since i saw them perform back in the days of EPL i knew that he and his brother mediumzach would do great things in the music aspect. Well i loved their first Album The Cost of living and could not wait till there second release. Nubia and I went to the Triple Rock (one of my fave spots) and enjoyed all the tracks with nubia, specially, ladies know, barter system and wipe the dust.

Must say, if you have not gotten their album. do so now here.




UP IN ARMS EVENT (FONG LEE FUNDRAISER)

This has to be one of the most fulfilling events that i have taken part in quite some years. Fong Lee was a Hmong youth that was gundown by MPLS police. (Read Article)and done so unjustly, framed as a gang member and other malicious accusations, i could see myself in him and honestly it could of been me. The line up of performers were amazing. i gave out free cd's but the highlight for me was watching my girls reaction when they saw a lot people i respect hit the stage. here is some videos taken by Justin Schell. i also debuted my poem For the Homeland (A Poem for Bagua)






BENZILLA & BK-ONE-RADIO DO CANIBAL

Benzilla is one the best producers in my opinion, and the release of this Album is proof enough. Proud of the homie Benzilla even though he likes Taco Taxi.

If this beat and collab does not make you move to the music, you all need some insulin. buy album here.




TOKI WRIGHT-DEVIL'S ADVOCATE VIDEO

I am always proud of homies who keep their nose to grind. well in 2009, Toki became part of Rhymesayers, Released his album "A Different Mirror" and released a video for "Devil's Advocate" (produced by Benzilla) that got airplay in mtv and national attention. he also gave me one of the best statements "they are from over there"- Toki Wright.



URBAN GRIOTS AWARD SHOW

So MNSWA put together a great event to recognize past and present spoken word artists in the Twin Cties, not only was it an honor being nominated but also it was great when PALABRISTAS got recognized and won 2 awards! but for me the highlight was watching fellow friend, poet Ed Bok Lee Kill it with this Performance.

Ed Bok Lee - "Thrown" from Justin Schell | 612 to 651 on Vimeo.




MN STATE ARTS BOARD GRANT

I got a grant. writing a chapbook with the help of Andrew MacDonald. It started this. Releasing sometime in 2010. big things!


BAGUA

So in synopsis, the events that happened in Bagua, Peru pushed me to write this. it got a great response and it started the project title "The Homeland EP"




ADAMS SPANISH IMMERSSION SCHOOL

My oldest started kindergarten at Adams Spanish Immersion School. Being Bilingual is a gift we will passed down to our children because as Franz Fanon said "Language is culture".

must say, this was one of my proudest moments. She is rocking Kindergarten, speaking more and more. =)


EQUILIBRIUM SPOKEN WORD SERIES AT THE LOFT

I got my start as a spoken word poet in this wonderful place. So its dear to my heart and its curated by one of the best spoken word artists i know, Bao Phi so i was glad i got to attend 2 out of 3 events.






EL CAFE OPEN MIC

i host(ed) an open mic at El Burrito Mercado Called El Cafe Open Mic. i was blessed this year to have been part of it. right now, i am taking a break to focus on projects, we hope to bring it back soon. enjoy some pics.







GUANTE & BIG CATS "AN UNWELCOME GUEST" CD RELEASE SHOW

So Guante is not only an amazing poet but a damn good rapper. he released a damn good CD. read what i had to say here


FUNKMASS

so 2 of my fave dj's Dj Ren and Dj Miguel Vargas put out some great mixtapes. download them here. http://www.funkmass.com/


and last but not least, i am a geek for electronics and a voltron fan. so when my brother informed me about this game on iphone i was like dammnnnnnn!



there you have it. enjoy. i know i did writing it.

No comments: