Tuesday, May 11, 2010

South Minneapolis Poem Preview

**This poem is still a rough draft..but here it is for you to read..what i have so far**



South Minneapolis

Why do they hate you
Why do they beat you
Then rape you
Why do they hate you
Why do they chase you for
What do you got that they need
Why do the cops hate you more then they hate me?

Why

Is it on 26th and Chicago where my daughters were delivered
to unmachista hands blocks from what we called frontera lake street
where sore feet and callused hands, smell like home to me
where broken sidewalks, potholes let me breathe
where lightpoles and smell of fresh tortillas shed tears
where the colors in the buildings don’t speak paranoia
street corners that frequent me , myself and i
where eat street resembles my kitchen
where poetas walk to blend in with the letterings
a place I can finally call my own
where the smells scream WELCOME HOME!


tell me South Minneapolis

why do they hate you,
why do they beat you down
then rape you
what do they chase you for
what do you got that they need?
Why do the cops hate you more then they hate me?

Does your body tense
Heart skips a beats
When the siren scream police?
Wondering if they will plant the evidence next to your body
Ask us why we run
Tell me who holds the gun?
Are our shades to brown for them
Are they mad we made this town for them

No comments: